Help Centre

Find information about SimpleTax and Wealthsimple Tax products

I’m switching to Wealthsimple Tax. What do I need from last year?

It's easy to switch to Wealthsimple Tax. Most people have very few numbers that they need from last year's return, so even though our competitors don't provide you with a handy file you can upload, it's easy to get started.

You can find the most common amounts you'll need on your Notice of Assessment or in CRA My Account. You may also have received a summary from your software last year. To add something from this table to Wealthsimple Tax, use our search box.

There's a good chance that most of the things in this table won't apply to you.

Last year's Add Auto-fill
RRSP information RRSP and PRPP Contributions & Deduction
Unused tuition amount Tuition, Education, and Textbook Amounts
Unused losses
  • Unused Net Capital Losses of Other Years
  • Unused Non-Capital Losses of Other Years
  • Unused Limited Partnership Losses
Unused donation amounts Donations and Gifts

Answer "Yes" to the question "Do you have any unused donations and gifts to carryforward from prior years?" and enter the amounts

Unused student loan amounts Interest Paid on Student Loans

Answer "Yes" to the question "Do you have any unused student loan interest from prior years?" and enter the amounts

CCA (for contractors, landlords, or small business owners)
  • Business Income
  • Rental Income
  • Farming Income
  • Employment Expenses

Enter last year's closing UCC in this year's opening UCC column for each class

Unused use-of-home claim (for contractors or small business owners)
  • Business Income
  • Farming Income
  • Fishing Income
  • Employment Expenses

Enter the unused amount in the Use-of-home tab

CNIL (if you had investment losses in prior years) Calculation of Cumulative Net Investment Loss

Enter the last two rows (lines 16 and 19 of last year's T936)

Less common things like unused employment expenses, certain provincial credits, mining credits, capital gains deduction amounts, and alternative minimum tax carryforward can be found using the search box. You can always send us an email if you have a question.