SimpleTax Help

How do I find my unused RRSP contributions?

If you have RRSP contributions that you have not reported on a prior year’s tax return, please refer to this post.

Most people do not have unused contributions on their prior year Notice of Assessment. Unused contributions are not the same as your RRSP deduction limit.

CRA My Account

  1. Click “Go to RRSP and TFSA” (in the RRSP and TFSA section of the Overview page).
  2. Click “View RRSP details”.
  3. Find your “Unused RRSP contributions available to deduct for ”, if any, just below your deduction limit for the year.

Paper Notice of Assessment

You can also find your unused contributions on the last notice of assessment or reassessment you received from the CRA.

Call the CRA

If you have misplaced your NOA and you haven’t yet signed up for CRA My Account, you can call the automated CRA TIPS phone line at 1-800-267-6999 for these amounts.

Still can’t find it?

Leave this field blank. If the CRA is expecting a different amount, you’ll get a NETFILE error message when you submit your return. This error message will include the exact amount of unused contributions the CRA is expecting. Enter that amount, and you’ll be able to submit your return.